What we need for Aloo Curry:
- Potatoes – 3, large, boiled, peeled and crush into rough chunks with hand
- menthulu – pinch
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida – 1/4 tspGreen chili-ginger paste – 1 tsp (1″ ginger+2 green chilis)
- Tomato – 1, finely chopped or puree (optional)
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp (preferably Kashmiri)
- Amchur powder – 1/4 to 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves – 1/4 cup, chopped
- Oil – 3 tbsps
Let’s prepare here:
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed vessel, once hot, add menthulu and allow to turn red. Add the cumin seeds and asafoetida and saute for few seconds.
- Add the green chili and ginger paste. Saute for few seconds.
- Add the tomatoes at this stage. Place lid and cook the chopped tomatoes on low medium flame for 7-8 mts.
- Add the turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and salt and mix. Add the boiled potatoes chunks and give a stir. Add 4 cups of water and salt and bring to a boil. Place lid and cook on low medium flame for 12-15 mts. Add amchur powder and garam masala powder and mix. Turn off flame.
Add the chopped coriander leaves and mix. Remove to a serving bowl and serve with bedmi puri, khasta kachori, puri or paratha.