What we need for Rajma Curry:
- Rajma – 1 cup, wash and soak water for 6-7 hours
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida – 1/2 tsp
- Onion – 1
- Green chili-ginger paste
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Tomatoes – 3, large, puree
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 2 tbsps
- Dry roast for 3 mts and grind to a fine powder
- Cloves – 2
- Green cardamom – 1
- Black cardamom – 3
- Cinnamon – 1/4″ stick
- Black pepper corns – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander seeds – 3/4 tbsp
Let’s prepare here:
- In a pressure cooker, add the soaked rajma along with 4 cups water and salt. Pressure cook until the rajma turns soft on touch and holds shape.
- Add oil in a heavy bottomed vessel. Once the oil turns hot, add cumin seeds and allow to turn brown. Add asafoetida and green chili ginger paste.
- Next we have to add onion pieces. When the onions fried, add the tomato puree and cook on low medium flame till the mixture begins to leave oil. After 15-20 mts. Add red chili powder and mix.
Set aside 1/4 cup of cooked rajma and add the remaining rajma along with the water to the tomato mixture and mix well. Add 2 cups of water.
- we have to add ground garam masala powder and adjust salt.Cook the rajma on low medium flame for 15 mts.
- Lightly mash the set aside rajma and add to the mixture and mix well. Continue to cook on low medium flame till the required gravy consistency is achieved.
- Turn off flame and remove to a serving bowl. Serve warm with rice or jeera pulao or naan or roti.